Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 1995 18:03:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        temp@temptation.interlog.com (Temptation)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Re: NCR810 problem?

[Other stuff about ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G motherboard]

> > The nice thing about this board is that it does memory interleaving
> > (that is why you have to install simms in pairs) so that the memory
> > performance on it is very good.  (And with a DX4/100 can beat most
> > P5-60 machines, and even some P5-66 machines at make world!!).
>
> Yes this is true, actually with 486-66, I can come very close to a P-90,
> using 40ns SIMMS and Adaptec 2940, and 512k cache

Well, that is not a far comparison, what happens to the P54C-90 if you
also put 40nS simms and a 512K cache in it??  This it screams if it is
the right motherboard!!  [I am not about to go plop down the cash to
find out right now :-)]

> > I don't use the standard install tools, but I have been shipping systems
> > on this board since March, which means that FreeBSD does run on it with
> > out problem.  Sounds like you had the cache set to write back mode, which
> > is a known problem on this board (or at least known to me!!).
>
> I've been trying for over 1.year trying to get FreeBSD installed on it.
> And may not have been Free or the system, could have been me, not sure,
> but I would goto the part menu, create it, worked fine, when to label,
> setup / and /usr , swap , /dos , and goto write the part, it does, so I
> think, crash. lockup. Reset, no More parts., I tried alot of different
> drives, tried with just NCR, tried with just 2940, didn't matter. this
> New version 2.0.5, besides the minor bugs here and there, installed very
> easy. ( at first I spent 48 hours straight trying to get it installed ;)
> ) but it didn't crash on the part. or Label program.

Well, until about Junuary of this year the PCI code and the NCR support
was not very great, it is much bettern now.  And until about March of
this year 2940 support was not even there really, and just became stable
about 3 or 4 weeks ago.  I imagen most of what you have been fighting
with has been FreeBSD software bugs due to the selection of hardware.

> > > it's not as big as the .packages or distfiles is it? I've been ftping
> > > .packages for the last 25hours or so :) and it's still going :)
> >
> > Your pulling the ports/distfiles directory most likely, which is HUGE!!!
> > Don't pull the distfiles, let make do that for you as it builds stuff,
> > unless you plan on building it ALL :-).
>
> How else can get those files? my Freebsd doesn't have direct access to
> the net :) it must connect to my Linux server (as in telnet, login root,
> ftp out to the net)

Oh, yeah, right, well is what I do is go into the ports I want to build
and find out what distfiles I need, then I just ftp those files into
my distfiles directory from my server.

> I already got /ports/distfiles, your right it is HUGE :)
> I'm getting /packages which seems bigger :)

Why do you need both the sources, and the pre built stuff, just build
it yourself!!!!  [cd /usr/ports; make all install] and if you want the
packages [make packages].