Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:04:28 +0000
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "lrh@alum.mit.edu" <lrh@alum.mit.edu>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 658, Issue 4

On 01/11/17 15:56, freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org wrote:
> I have purchased the FreeBSD installation DVD from FreeBSD Mall. ?I am in=
stalling on a newer AMD 64 system.
> I have had no issue with getting FreeBSD UNIX up and running on this mach=
ine. ?However, when I try to use either
> pkg install xorg
> or I try to make the port of most anything (like, for example, emacs), th=
e install always fails.
> The fail when attempting to use pkg install happens when pkg install trie=
s to update the catalogue, where it says there is no address record. ?Then =
it says a pkg update is required. Doing a pkg update seems to do nothing an=
d the install fails in all events.
> Trying to install anything using a make install clean in the port directo=
ry appears to die when it can't find pkgconf and, again, says there is no a=
ddress record.
> What am I doing wrong here? ?I have what appears to be a happily working =
FreeBSD UNIX that talks to the Internet just fine and does all the basic th=
ings it's supposed to do. ?I want to get X11 and KDE running on this system=
. ?I finally got a port from?freebsd.kde.org/ports.php to compile and insta=
ll, but I have not been able to install X or anything else (like emacs or p=
kgconf).
> Any wisdom about this, please?

Hi,

As Gary already said, this should be something related to incorrect DNS=20
settings. To confirm, do the following :

ping 8.8.178.110
ping www.freebsd.org

If 1st command works and the 2nd does not, it confirms bad DNS. You can=20
then set things right with :

bsdconfig networking

If you do not have your own DNS settings, use OpenDNS - that is what I=20
use myself. DNS1 =3D 208.67.222.222; DNS2 =3D 208.67.220.220

Regards
Manish Jain