Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2018 19:05:25 -0500
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>, Xin LI <delphij@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /dev/crypto not being used in 12-STABLE

--4Z8prfDQS7PGRuugKkBHzE6gEzOijUBUj
From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To: John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>, Xin LI <delphij@gmail.com>
Cc: FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>

--vvoYfKgUSMI7kYZ9JWSzVT2b0cQ07XrnS

On 18. 12. 6., John Nielsen wrote:
>> On Dec 6, 2018, at 4:04 PM, Xin LI <delphij@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:37 AM John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> wrot=
e:

>>> I have upgraded two physical machines from 11-STABLE to 12-STABLE rec=
ently (one is 12.0-PRERELEASE r341380 and the other is 12.0-PRERELEASE r3=
41391). I noticed today that neither machine seems to be utilizing /dev/c=
rypto. Typically I see at least ssh/sshd have the device open plus some p=
rograms from ports. But 'fuser' doesn't list any processes on either mach=
ine:

>>> # fuser /dev/crypto
>>> /dev/crypto:
>>>
>>> Both machines are running custom kernels that include "device crypto"=
 and "device cryptodev". One of them additionally has "device aesni".

>>> Is anyone else seeing this? Any idea what would cause it?
>>
>> Your average OpenSSL applications should not use /dev/crypto, if your
>> goal is to utilize AES-NI (which does not require /dev/crypto).  On
>> capable systems, AES-NI would be used automatically (and it's faster
>> this way).
>=20
> Thanks for the response. Is there a way to verify that AES-NI is being =
used for e.g. ssh?
> I'm also curious why/when/how the change to not use (or support?) /dev/=
crypto from base
> openssl was made.

OpenSSL 1.1.1 removed the old cryptodev:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/vendor-crypto/openssl/dist/CHANGES?revisi=
on=3D340690&view=3Dmarkup#l400

Instead, OpenSSL added devcrypto engine for Linux:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/619eb33

and added BSD support:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/4f79aff

then, completely removed BSD-specific cryptodev:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/f39a550

However, it is disabled by default.  Theoretically, it is functionally
equivalent but it wasn't tested much.

I can enable the new engine on head if many users request it.

Jung-uk Kim