Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 2009 13:38:51 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: php5-5.2.11_1 Vulnerabilities

--------------enig3F47C4DAF6679DB423B8616C

> I say this as both someone who does web hosting and codes in PHP.  I
> often wonder what the point of PHP is given Markup::Perl[3]'s existence=
=2E

Ooooh... another way of embedding perl into HTML.  That makes <... counts=

on fingers ...> loads.

Not to mention all those solutions employing Ruby or Java/jsp or Python. =
 And
the Google web tools stuff, where you write pure Java and it compiles int=
o the
appropriate mix of server side Java objects and Ajax enabled web pages.

Or the distressingly under-appreciated WebObjects stuff from Apple, which=
 may
have been around a few years but is still pretty revolutionary (although =
not
free).

No -- there are many, many alternatives to PHP.  Trouble is, there are ma=
ny,
many web-monkeys out there that cannot conceive of using anything else.  =
And
if you propose to a client writing a web app in any other language they g=
et all
bothered because it's "non standard" and because "we can find PHP coders =
easily".=20
That's a self fulfilling prophecy if ever I saw one.  A lot like proposin=
g any
other OS than Windows...  Now who would do a thing like that?

	Cheers,

	Matthew (who thinks HTML::Mason is where it's at...)

--=20
                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW