Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 1997 18:24:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: Unix Gurus shift to Microsoft (fwd)

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, dennis wrote:

> >Microsoft R&D $2e9 this year "and we're going to triple it" (they
> >don't say how fast though);
> >
> >Microsoft hardware group revenues $3e6 per employee;
> >
> >Microsoft presenting 20% of the papers at SIGGRAPH;
> >
> >etc etc.
> >
> >Especially entertaining is the discussion of the Windows CE platform,
> >which one article claims is a proprietary hardware and software
> >product with the manufacturers competing to be low cost contract
> >hardware manufacturers for Microsoft.
>
> I wonder how long its going to take for the courts to bone up on this and
> understand what Microsoft has become. The WebTV acquisition is very
> troubing to me, as well as the fact that they also announced that the will
> be selling "diskless workstations". Pretty soon they will make everyone
> buy hardware from them also...it seems fairly clear that thats the direction
> they are taking.

Courts don't do it, Justice and Congress do, and they are completely
baffled by computers in the first place.  Some judges actually spend the
time to learn the issues involved, but congressmen, unless it's
politically needed, never do.  As long as Mom and Pop are happy with MS,
congress will leave them alone.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |