Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:49:53 +0300
From:      Vasil Dimov <vd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Udo Schweigert <Udo.Schweigert@siemens.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mail/mutt-devel: regression in 1.5.12

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 12:59:23PM +0300, Vasil Dimov wrote:
> [...]
> > > messages became hell slow.
> > >=20
> > > I use IMAP and when I open a folder and hold down ``j'' or down-arrow
> > > the hilighted line starts to move downside very slow (just as if the
> > > keyboard repeat rate is set up low). When it reaches 5th message I
> > > release the ``j'' key and it goes by itself up to the 18th message.
> > > I find this really annoying and it renders mutt almost unusable for m=
e :/
> > > I just installed 1.5.11 again and the hilighted line flies like an ar=
row
> > > and stops as soon as I release ``j'', so the problem is definedly
> > > between 1.5.11 and 1.5.12. More precisely the port from 16 Jul works
> > > fine and the port from 20 Jul does not, see CVS logs:
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/mail/mutt-devel/Makefile
> > >=20
> > > Any ideas?
> >=20
> > Vasil,
> >=20
> > my two cents:
> >=20
> > - I do not have those problems with IMAP, but
> > - I know that the IMAP-code in mutt has been rewritten heavily.
> >=20
> > At the moment I don't have an idea to solve your problem. Which of the =
knobs
> > do you use (WITH_MUTT_XXX)?
>=20
> WITH_MUTT_HTML and WITH_MUTT_SSL. In addition I have explicitly disabled
> IDN support although I have ${LOCALBASE}/lib/libidn.so on my system but
> that is subject for another thread.
>=20
> > Have you tried the IMAP header cache?
>=20
> No, but 1.5.11 works just fine without caching
>=20
> This is what I discovered:
>=20
> I have imap server listeing on SSL (993) and on plain (143) ports on
> host `pop'.
>=20
> In muttrc:
> mailboxes imaps://vd:__secret__@pop/freebsd-ports
> mailboxes imap://vd:__secret__@pop/freebsd-ports
>=20
> When I connect to the first one the problem mentioned above exists.
>=20
> When I connect to the second one, although it is plain the server and
> mutt negotiate TLS connection:
>=20
> CAPA
> OK..CAPA..TOP..UIDL..RESP-CODES..PIPELINING..STLS..USER..SASL.PLAIN
> STLS
> OK.Begin.TLS.negotiation.now
>=20
> and the communication is encrypted again _but the problem is gone_
>=20
> If I disable SSL support on the server side (so it does not give
> CAPA STLS) the connection in plaintext and the problem is not present.

I think I got close to the problem.

It is not exactly if the protocol is imap:// or imaps://
but rather how many mailboxes with the same prefix
(imap://vd:__secret__@pop/) I have. E.g. the more folders I have the
worst it gets.

Firstly some more deatils on my setup:

I have 14 folders listed in my muttrc:
mailboxes imaps://vd:__secret__@pop/
mailboxes imaps://vd:__secret__@pop/freebsd-ports
mailboxes imaps://vd:__secret__@pop/freebsd-hackers
mailboxes imaps://vd:__secret__@pop/freebsd-amd64
mailboxes imaps://vd:__secret__@pop/freebsd-ports-bugs
mailboxes imaps://vd:__secret__@pop/spam
=2E..

In my testing I changed just one of them to
mailboxes imap://vd:__secret__@pop/freebsd-ports-bugs
and then moving through the messages in there was fine.
When I changed all of them to imap:// the problem reappeared.

Next I disabled SSL support on the server (so TLS is not negotiated
via the plaintext imap://) and tested with all 14 folders set to imap://
The result was that the problem existed but things were just a little
bit better.

My guess is that when I move to the next message (with ``j'') mutt does
something for each folder in the same mailbox (like checking for new
messages in each folder, but that was also what 1.5.11 did) which slows
down things to hell for 14 folders. As usual plaintext communication is
just a little bit faster than SSL encrypted one.

Maybe mutt developers should be directed to this thread
http://lists.FreeBSD.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2006-August/034559.html

--=20
Vasil Dimov
gro.DSBeerF@dv

Testing can show the presence of bugs, but not their absence.
                -- Edsger W. Dijkstra

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3--