Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:08:37 -0600
From:      "Michael W." <m_wall@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Please help me out

Guys, I've been everywhere for help on this, and no one seems to know
the answer to my
problem.

I have an Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI board with my 12x Plextor cdrom and
Conner tape
drive running off of it. When I recieved BSD in the mail, I hurriedly
unwrapped it and
proceeded to boot it up and do a quick visual pre-install config of the
kernel. But when it boots, it takes forever probing each of the scsi
id's, and comes up
with nothing in each slot. (Each slot except the first, which is my hard
drive.)
Here's what it gives me as far as the dmesg:

Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
ahc0 <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 10 on PCI
0:11:0
ahc0: aic 7880 Wide Channel, SCSI id = 7, 16 SCBs
ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
(ahc 0:0:0): "SEAGATE ST19171W 0023" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd0 (ahc 0:0:0): Direct-Access 8683MB
ahc0: board is not responding
(ahc 0:3:0):SCB 0x0- timedout in datain phase, SCSISIGI = 0x44
SEQADDR = 0x128 SCSIEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x0 SSTAT1 = 0x3
(ahc0 0:3:0): abort message in message buffer
ahc0: board is not responding
cmd fail
(ahc 0:3:0): SCB 0x1 timedout while recovery in progress
(ahc 0:3:0): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed scsi 0
uk0(ahc 0:3:0): Unknown
ahc0: board is not responding
(ahc 0:3:1): SCB 0x2 timedout while recovery in progress
(ahc 0:3:1): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed scsi 0
uk1 (ahc 0:3:0): unknown
ahc0: board is not responding
cmd fail

It repeats these protests for each of the 16 id's, and consequently I
can't install from the
cdrom because the boot process doesn't detect it. My termination and
cabling are all
correct, and there is no other physical problem that I can see because I
run NT (and Red Hat Linux 5.0)
right now and everything works just fine. If anyone has any ideas as to
what might be the cause,
they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks--

Michael Wallis