Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2012 15:15:24 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>
Cc:        Sean Cavanaugh <millenia2000@hotmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

On 6 June 2012 14:48, Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 06 June 2012 9:21:22 Sean Cavanaugh wrote:
>>
>> Overall I see it as packages are flat stable at the cost of being out of
>> date, and ports are current but not guaranteed to compile without
>> intervention. The Maintainers do give a very good shot to make them stable
>> but sometimes one person cannot maintain millions of lines of code and not
>> make a glitch occasionally, or make it out on time when a dependency
>> changes.
>
> isn't the date of the packages the date of the last release of the branch? Aren't the chances high then to get a working ports tree?
>
> You can follow the discussion about this subject for at least 10 years back. The result is always the same.
>
> In parallel is the discussion why so little people are using FreeBSD.
>
> Do you understand what I want to say?

I do understand it, but you don't seem to understand that we *do*
understand what you're saying.

- Tagged ports trees contain out of date software.

- Security fixes cannot be backported to tagged trees- we *do* *not*
*have* *resources* for this.

- Occasionally you may see minor issues when following the latest
branch of ports.  This is the price you pay for being up to date, with
the very latest of software.

Chris