Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 08:09:50 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Graey <slayer@luvewe.ops.us.eglobe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't get ppp to work.

> Dual booted win95/fbsd2.2.6.  Acer p166.  Rockwell p&p 33.6 modem internal
> built in set on com port 1 (in windows at least, and it shows up as cuaa0
> in bsd). I downloaded and installed the src.uue file that changed the
> libdes to allow me to use PPP.  I can't get it to dial out.  The modem is
> already set to cuaa1 and all the other modem parameters are set correctly
                 ^^^^^
I thought you said it was cuaa0 ?

> (parity etc).  I get into ppp and can 'show modem' and things are correct.
> However, when I type term, it just sits there showing me to type ~? for
> help, which I can do.  I can't type anything else, or if anything is being
> inputted, I get no echo on the screen.  I've tried going through the
> proper commands (at, atdt5555555) and just waiting to see if it did work
> and I'm just not seeing it, and nothing happens even 5 minutes later.  No
> sound from the modem, no output on the screen, etc.  My hosts and
> host.conf file are (according to examples in the FAQ and confirmed by
> people on the various freebsd channels on several irc networks) correct
> and I can ping myself, but I'm told that wouldn't affect the modem not
> working anyway.  Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?  What more
> information do I need to post to get more help?  I've been trying to get
> this one specific problem fixed for about 36 hours now.  I'll upgrade to
> the current version of freebsd when I get a chance, but I need to get
> online with it first.  If I need any specific files to help out I can get
> them but they'll have to fit on a 3.5" floppy.  Please respond post
> haste if you think you can help, I'm at my wit's end.

The sample files are installable from the top level directory that
came from the src.uue file with ``make etc-install''.

Assuming the above ``cuaa1'' was a typo, have you been able to talk
to the modem using cu/tip/kermit ?  Do you see any

  Failed to open /dev/cuaa1, pause 30 seconds

type messages ?