Date:      27 Mar 2002 09:09:11 -0700
From:      "T.J. Rowe" <tjr@ida.net>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Possible problem with the jdk-1.3.1p6_2 port?

First of all, let me congratulate you on your work porting the JDK to
FreeBSD.  I compiled and installed the entire package from the ports
collection without a problem.  Also, let me add that I'm not a
developer, I'm a user, so I apologize ahead of time for anything I've
missed which may be obvious to the trained eye. ;)

In any case, I've noticed a problem (which may not necessarily even be a
problem with your port), but I haven't found any answer to it yet.  I
use the JDK for the sole purpose of the browser plugin support.  I'm
running a natively (FreeBSD) compiled mozilla (0.9.9 most recently) and
am trying to run the java plugin natively compiled under FreeBSD as
well.  Basically, here's the error I get from mozilla:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so
[/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so:
Undefined symbol "dgettext"]

No one seems to know what "dgettext" is or what it belongs to.  Do you
guys have any ideas?  I'm clueless as far as where to go from here, but
I'd appreciate any suggestions and I'll do everything I need to do in
order to investigate further.

Thanks,

T.J. Rowe
tjr@ida.net