Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2017 06:37:08 +0200
From:      Giulio Ferro <auryn@zirakzigil.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OOM-killer can't work on FreeBSD 11.0

On 11/09/2017 05:56, Zhixin Wan via freebsd-hackers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a mail system running FreeBSD 9.3 which is put on VMWare ESXi, it's assigned a low memory (1G or 2G) and a reasonable swap disk size (2 x Memory size).
> The mail system was running for several years, and didn't see any freeze even a lot of mail traffic through it.
>
> Recently I upgraded this mail system from FreeBSD 9.3 to FreeBSD 11.0, and after running a few days, the mail system got freeze. I can't get any response from the console,
> and can't login to the mail system with SSH either, except ping to the system got response. I look into the message log and found a lot of messages:

I don't know if it's relevant with your problem, but I experienced
exactly the same problem on a Freebsd 11 EC2 instance on AWS.

If I set up a swap, the system would freeze after some time (from a few
hours to a few days).

I solved by augmenting the RAM allocated and removing the swap...

Cheers

Giulio