Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:52:22 -0500
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Norikatsu Shigemura <nork@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/devel/icu: PTHREAD_LIBS clean

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 10:45, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
= ICU is different in that not only can it be called from multiple
= threads, but those threads can (in theory -- as far as I know, you're
= right that nobody uses this capability right now) be interacting.
= š
= > You are (slightly) pessimizing your installation by building a
= > thread-aware ICU without having a need for it...
=
= On the other hand, that could change at any time. š
=
= Think of all the other programmers in the world as independent
= threads, that could use the API in new ways... š;-)

I know. And the ICU developers think, threads should be enabled by default.
The reason they aren't right now -- in the FreeBSD port -- is because of
certain bugs in thread implementation(s) on FreeBSD/ia64, which lead to
crashes in ICU.

Since nothing is using ICU in a multi-threaded fashion _right now_, the
current version of the port builds without threads by default. Norikatsu
confirms, he is not calling into ICU from multiple threads either, hence my
suggestion, he does not need to change the option.

When the ia64's thread-implementation improves, the next update to the port
will change the default...

	-mi