Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 18:10:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "Childers, Richard" <RCHILDER@hamquist.com>, "'H. Eckert '" <ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de>, "'freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG '" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4 Swap partitions limit (was  Re: RE: Little question (offtopic))

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 03:43:10PM -0700, a little birdie told me
> that Matthew Dillon remarked
> > :Continuing to wander off-topic, here ... I've noticed that FreeBSD 3.1 will
> > :not allow more that four swap partitions. Does anyone know why this is?
> >
> >     You can compile up a kernel that allows more then four, but even
> >     having four will almost certainly going to be overkill.
>
> How so?

How often do you swap lots?  Enough that you overwhelm the throughput of
four SCSI disks?  Seems unlikely;  if you do, you should consider adding
memory.  It might make sense if you had a bunch of little drives, but
given you have a hard time finding a disk less than 4 GB these days, I
don't really see the point.

David Scheidt