Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 19:57:50 BST
From:      Michael Ryan <mike@NetworX.ie>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD Support <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can FBSD be config'd via BOOTP?

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:23:33 -0700 (PDT) Doug White wrote:

> Hm.  I thought there was a bootp client, but I guess not.  It comes with a
> server though.
>
> Why would you want to bootp a unix box?  FreeBSD and unix in general
> doesn't sit well with dynamic configuration.  They are designed for static
> addresses with static names.

For the same reason that I want to configure a Windows PC using BOOTP --
it centralises my administration of the network hosts.
I think Unix boxes are designed for static addresses only when they're
acting as servers.  The ones I want to BOOTP will be clients.  But, even
so, I think only the hostname needs to be static on a server; client
software shouldn't be using IP addresses.  Also, c.f. Sun's bootparamd.

Mike
<mike@NetworX.ie>
---