Date:      Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:53:54 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Chris Dionissopoulos <dionch@freemail.gr>
Subject:   Re: Traffic quota features in IPFW

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 05:40:32PM +0200, Max Laier wrote:
> On Saturday 16 July 2005 17:02, Chris Dionissopoulos wrote:
> > Hi ppl, ( and sorry for cross posting)
> >
> > I review Andrey's  Elsukov patch for adding "bound" support in ipfw, and i
> > decide to  push a little forward this feature.
>
> Sorry to be blunt, but I don't see the point in this feature nor do I think
> it's a good idea.  All it does is adding overhead to every packet that is
> processed by IPFW.  You might argue that this overhead is fairly little, but

max, you are entitled to dislike the idea, but you should present
your arguments correctly and not in a misleading way.

There is no extra per-packet overhead in the common case
introduced by this particular option (and in practically all new
options added to ipfw2) because all it adds is a few entries to the
main switch.

Re. readability, you surely know very well (and it's widely documented
through the ip_fw2.[ch] code) that each IPFW2 opcode is independent of
others, so to understand the main function you just need to understand
the code outside the switch (which grabs the packets' data), and
the individual case you are looking at - which does a 'break, break
2 or break 3' depending on the case (and not having the 'break n'
construct in C we are forced to use gotos).

Surely the more opcodes you have, the bigger the switch becomes,
but i don't see readability suffering too much. In any case it
would be trivial to move to a different structure where each
opcode handler is called through an indirect function and
depending on the return value one does a break, break2 or break 3.

I don't have a particular interest in this patch, i think it
could be done in a better way (e.g. by using a single opcode for
below/above, and a more efficient check-state perhaps) but
none of your criticism really applies to the code as it has been
submitted.

"sorry to be blunt" :)

	cheers
	luifgi