Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2014 06:10:01 GMT
From:      Peter Looyenga <pl@catslair.org>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/184204: Undefined symbol &quot; libiconv_open&quot; on startup for java/netbeans

The following reply was made to PR ports/184204; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Looyenga <pl@catslair.org>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, kevinz5000@gmail.com
Subject: Re: ports/184204: Undefined symbol &quot;libiconv_open&quot; on startup
 for java/netbeans
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 06:29:06 +0100

 Hi Gang!,

 I just finished up on an installation of FreeBSD 10 (i386) within a
 VirtualBox environment and guess what? I can reproduce the problem.

 However, apart from disabling the splash screen I discovered something
 else which might shed some new light on this issue. I started doing some
 tests and traces and eventually discovered that this problem evolves
 around ~/.cache/netbeans/7.4.

 This is the so called cache directory (see netbeans_default_cachedir in
 /usr/local/netbeans-7.4/etc/netbeans.conf) which only contains ('large')
 files which are always safe to delete.

 If you delete this directory after you've finished a NetBeans session
 then you won't experience this iconv problem. If you do experience the
 "iconv problem" then simply remove the cache dir (rm -rf
 ~/.cache/netbeans/7.4) and the problems are over once more.

 You can run into some weird behaviour though; like starting NetBeans,
 getting notifications that you have "21 updates" and when you go to the
 plugin screen it quickly says that there are no updates available. Only
 after you did a new search will you see these again.

 Even so; bottom line is that I'm convinced that this problem is fully
 related to the usage of cache.

 Hope this can help or shed some more information on all this.

 Kind regards, Peter