Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 2003 15:46:46 -0500
From:      Paul Pathiakis <paul@pathiakis.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   VMWare License

Hi,

        this letter is in regards to the my posting of December 12, 2002:

Good day,

        I'm sure this is a common question:

        Since vmware doesn't sell licenses for 2.0 any longer and I'd like to
run the
vmware 2.0 port, where do I get the license or how do I get around needing
one?

        Thank you,

        Paul Pathiakis

As I have recently been contacted by several people on this subject, please
let me post my response.

1) I did not know that although this product has been discontinued, it is
still a licensed, COMMERCIAL product.

2) "get around needing one", as posted above, with regards to needing a
license key, was with regards to my belief that this was a "free" and/or
discontinued product, as it was located in the ports collection.

3)  I do not condone the circumvention of licensed software that has not been
donated, GPL'd, implicit copyrighted for use, or otherwise given to the
global community.

4)  Please do not contact me with regards to providing any such keys.  I am a
person who makes his career as a system administrator.  I would not, in any
such way shape or form, condone such behavior.  It would be contradictory to
my chosen career and my given ethics and morals as a sysadmin professional.
This is a corporation's property that they generate revenue and such
unlicensed use I consider to be theft.

5)  Please support plex86, bochs or other products that I have found to be
what I am looking for, Open Source or Freeware with no legal or financial
entanglements.

Sorry for being such a nuisance and having to post this to the list, but
that's my disposition.   I would hope everyone will respect this and cease
contacting me when they search the archives.

Thank you,

Paul Pathiakis