Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:16:14 -0400
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help ith burncd (Input/output error, 6.1-RC, plextor PX-740a)

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 06:49:02PM -0700, George Hartzell wrote:

> I have a new system which includes a Plextor PX-740a DVD+-R/RW CD-R/RW
> drive attached to an Asus A8V-MX motherboard.
>
> When I try to use burncd to burn a cd, it writes all of the data, says
> "fixating CD, please wait.." and then reports
>
>   burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCFIXATE): Input/output error
>
> Oddly enough, the CD seems to be usable.
>
> I can successfully burn the same file if I use cdrecord.
>
> The system was cvsup-ed a couple of days ago, and the kernel config is
> the example SMP file plus "device atapicam" (the error also happened
> before adding that device, but cdrecord needed it).
>
> I saw this before in the 6.0 days with older hardware and just assumed
> that the drive was wonky.
>
> Is it a known problem?

I don't know if it's known, but I have the identical issue with a
plextor CDRW drive.  A few others have had it too--it gives that error,
but the CD is ok.  (There was one other fellow who had the issue, don't
remember if it was a Plextor, but in his case, he got the error after 3
or 4 seconds and the CD wasn't successfully burned.)

I remember googling for it several months ago, but didn't find any
answers.

> Is it worth pursuing?

I didn't find it so. I guess this is one of those things where I
think, gee I wish someone would fix this but can't see filling out a
PR where the how to reproduce is, "Come to my job and try to burn a CD
on this one machine."  I suspect such a report might not get
preferential treatment.  :)

I don't know if it's a Plextor issue either, I seem to remember people
with other drives having the same problem.  Of the two machines where I
burn CDs, the Plextor one is the one with the problem, the other
machine, with some no name drive does't have it.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Angel: I'm weak. I've never been anything else. I wanted to lose
myself in you. I know it will cost me my soul, and part of me
didn't care. It's not the demon in me that needs killing, Buffy,
it's the man.