Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:22:27 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Printer Problem

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:44:54AM -0800, nyingelay wrote:
> Printer:	Epson Stylus C40UX (usb)
> OS:		FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE
> It is the only printer attached to my computer via usb.
>
> When I tried to "lpr filename", the printer responded to it for awhile by
> moving its cartridge holder, but nothing got actually printed.  That was
> after I rebooted the PC.  For the second time when I tried to "lpr filename",
> there were no responses from the printer at all.  After each reboots, the
> printer acknowledges the commands for once only, and just sits there idle.

I had *exactly* the same problem, but with an Epson 740U. So I tried
printing under Windows and it would only print in black and only legibly
at the highest quality .. I cleaned the heads etc, and the status
monitor said there was plenty of ink. So, more out of a guess than
anything else I replaced the ink cartridges -- and lo and behold it
worked just fine on all O/S'es. What that implies I don't know, although
obviously the colour cartridge was blocked beyond repair. I don't use
the printer much, so... maybe the cheapo cartridges I use had got fed
up. You only have to replace the catridges twice with real Epson ones
and it is about the same cost as a new printer (here in Holland anyway !)

Did it ever work under other releases ? The fact that it is recognised
means it is in the file of signatures for USB devices, that does not
always mean it will work.

I am sending this, not saying this is your problem, but the symptoms are
so similar I thought I would pass it on.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson

       Email: cls@raggedclown.net