Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 19:26:11 -0500
From:      Paul Nadon <pnadon@storm.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FYI: Yet another successful install by a new user....

Nadav Eiron wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Paul Nadon wrote:
>
> > Although I used the Walnut Creek CD, I didn't actually install from the
> > CD.  For some reason FreeBSD doesn't like my NEC 4X CD-ROM (if you have
> > one working, please let me know how you set it up).  It seems to die
> > during file transfer half-way through the install.
> >

> When you say "die" do you mean the machine locks up and the drive lights
> stays on then it sounds (to me) like the CMD640 bug. Is your CD on a
> different EIDE channel than the hard disk? If so, you should know that if
> your EIDE controller is CMD640 based then you have a good chance of
> hanging up FreeBSD when accessing devices on more than one channel. If
> you can move the CD to be on the same controller as the hard disk, and
> use only those two devices it should probably work.

My apologies.  I should have been more clear.  I was attempting brevity.
RE:  my CD-ROM drive
	FreeBSD Install complains that it cannot create the directories (I
	believe that would be the root dir).  I	believe this happens when the
	files are being copied from the CD.  My experience with NEC's tells
	me it is the fussy CD.

--
Paul Nadon
pnadon@storm.ca