Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:51:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 and FreeBSD 4.3

On Sunday, 15 April 2001 at  1:58:44 +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently got a i8000 for work and so far I am fairly pleased with the success
> I am having. Currently the internal modem and ethernet work, USB works and X is
> running.
>
> I can't get the sound to work which seems quite odd to me since I can see an ID
> for a supported soundcard when I do pciconf -l (ie a Maestro 3 - 0x1998125d). I
> haven't investigated further than boot -v.
>
> Inserting a PCMCIA card locks the machine solid (I have only tried a CF adapter
> card so far). I haven't played with configuring it either (tips gratefully
> received :)

I've just finished some unsuccessful playing around with my CF adaptor
in my I7500.  It worked fine with -STABLE and -CURRENT up to the last
build (end of December), but I upgraded to a recent -CURRENT with
NEWCARD a couple of days ago, and now inserting the CF adaptor freezes
the machine and causes it to reboot.  Booting with the adaptor
installed causes a panic during the probes.  I'm still investigating,
but I'll keep you posted.  If you want, bring the equipment out here
and we'll play around with it :-)

Greg