Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2005 04:36:06 +0100
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrtools-2.01

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 03:46:49AM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Monday, 21. February 2005 23:05, Marius Strobl wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 11:50:57AM -0300, Ivo Roumenov Tonev wrote:
> > > Patch for DVD writing
> > >
> > > can include it in the port?
> >
> > No, sorry, the author of cdrecord regards the inclusion of such patches
> > as a violation of the cdrecord license
>
> The 'cdrecord license' is the GPL, it would be pretty bad for us if we (or
> anyone) couldn't distribute binaries of patched, GPL'd software.

It's the GPL + a couple of additional restrictions (e.g. one must not
change tests in the configure script) + a "clarification text" about
how to interpret certain parts of the GPL for cdrecord. I don't support
his view of the GPL but I think we really shouldn't patch cdrecord in
a way the author clearly objects to. Please also see his recent mail
on hackers@:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2005-February/010317.html

Marius