Date:      09 Dec 2002 11:31:46 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing additional ports in a jail!

Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org> writes:

> I usually follow this procedure (on the host system, not inside the jail):

I know the basic concept of jails, but have never used them and don't
understand them well.  Please tell me if you think they could be used
to solve this "problem" I've always had with installing software:

Most software (ports in this case) require you to run third-party
scripts as root, making it quite easy for those parties to corrupt the
root-owned/private parts of your OS.  (I tried giving the whole ports
system to a special non-root user, but way too many scripts are actually
nasty enough as to insist that the user is root.)

Could I have a whole ports system in a jail so that I can run their
scripts as root while they cannot cause damage outside the jail?  (I'd
probably want another ports system for the few ports who's executables
I intend to run as root, or maybe copy (or link?) them out of the jail.)

Thanks.