Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:29:52 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        ia64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HP rx2600 boots SMP

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 02:05:13PM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > Gang,
> >
> > The EPC overhaul that is planned for 5.1 has some nice side-effects. It
> > gets our rx2600 boxes to boot with SMP:
>
> Whee!!! :-)
>
> BTW; I hate to distract you, but we need to do something about the console
> situation..

Yes. First sio(4) needs to be finished and merged onto HEAD. It may
set a precedence (good or bad -- the jury decides) for how to deal
with pre-newbus handling of MD resources. This is typical for system
consoles. imp@ picked this up last week and I hope he got as far
as testing already. rwatson@ very surpisingly put it on the 5.1
must-have-or-i'll-shoot list, so if there was no pressure already,
there's now :-)

With sio(4) out of the way we can work on display adapters,
keyboards, bell/beep/speaker fodder. The discussion was there on
-arch, but I at least didn't get the impression that people are
warmed up for it. Not to mention lined-up for it.

Unfortunately: my TODO list never seems to shrink enough that I
can start working on it...