Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 1996 14:39:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: list of major device numbers?

> As Julian Elischer wrote:
> >

> > > Here's the list I have so far:
> >
> > Ok, we should check this in asap, and it should probably be in 2.1
> > too or SOMEthing..
> > (so that we can keep them in sync)
>
> What are the plans to dynamicalize the assignment of major numbers?  I
> think, except for a few ``well-known'' devices that might be important
> for the bootstrap, everything else could be handled in a dynamic
> scenario.
if you specify (-1?) it will dynamically assign you one,
but I need to change this so that it statrs at a higher number
so as to not collide with devices that already statically
have a spot..

of course you MUST have a devfs to make this work,
(or have the modload program return the new major number)