Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2009 00:28:33 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   A trio of problems

--------------enigE99F8D077A6CE111870906F3

Hi,

1. I'm trying to start 1000 jails for demonstration purposes (a
presentation), but I can reliably panic the kernel when somewhere
between 400 and 600 jails are started. The panic is not always of the
same type nor at the same place in code, and the number of created jails
also varies. I'm using ZFS for the jails directory and have about 10
nullfs-mounted UFS directories per jail. I'm not sure this is ZFS's
fault but will test with UFS-only soon. I don't have coredumps (because
of 2.) but I have some photos here:
http://ivoras.sharanet.org/stuff/panic/ - the first 3 images are from
one panic, the next two from the next one, the last for the 2nd problem.

2. I can't set a kernel coredump directory. The setup is not unusual (no
gmirror, etc.) - simply partitions handled by GPART. The error is in
ioctl(DIOCSKERNELDUMP): Device not configured. The only thing that comes
to my mind is that the swap device is 2 GB while the machine has 4 GB
RAM but AFAIK minidumps should work? If I can get coredumps to work I
could provide more information on the first problem.

3. Turning Scroll-lock on (for the purpose of taking the last photo)
before the login prompt (getty) is started makes the console wedge after
the Scroll-lock is released. No input or output is processed though some
keys work (Scroll-lock is one of them).

For the first problem, I can share the script that generates the jails,
if anyone wants it.

All this is on 8-CURRENT from today. Kernel and world are in sync.