Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 2019 10:57:01 +0200
From:      "Dave Cottlehuber" <dch@skunkwerks.at>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ntpd configutration -- a small suggestion from the peanut gallery

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019, at 18:14, RW via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 08:40:51 +0200 (CEST)
> Trond Endrest=C3=B8l wrote:
>=20
> > On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 23:18-0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> >=20
> > > I feel sure that I'll be able to figure out how to get ntpd proper=
ly
> > > enabled & configured, but I would just like to offer, hunbly, to t=
he
> > > Powers That Be, that it would be Nice if ntpd, once enabled during=

> > > install, just worked, you know, right outta the box. =20
> >=20
> > Adding
> >=20
> > ntpd_sync_on_start=3D"YES"
> >=20
> > to /etc/rc.conf is one way.=20
>=20
> Perhaps it should be the default.=20

It is in CURRENT[1] & would be worth MFC although possibly too late
for 11.3R.

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dntpdate mentions:

DESCRIPTION
     Note: The functionality o this program is	now available in the ntpd=
(8)
     program.  See the -q command line option in the ntpd(8) page.  Afte=
r a
     suitable period of	mourning, the ntpdate utility is to be retired f=
rom
     this distribution.

Perhaps a revision that uses ntpd_flags would be better?

--panicgate

[2]: https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dntpd
[1]: https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3Dr326095