Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:06:32 -0400
From:      Bob Ababurko <ababurko@adelphia.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   serial port config

   Hello-
   I am trying to configure the serial ports on a bunch of machines to be
   hooked up to a terminal server...baynetworks Annex to be exact.  I am
   running FreeBSD 5.2.1 on an i386 machine with an Inter n440bx board.
   These motherboards are pretty common and found on early VA linux
   boxen.
   I followed the handbook but I am a little confused where it is talking
   about:
   4.  Make sure the configuration file of your kernel has appropriate
   flags set for COM1 (sio0).
   where I should be seeing or adding a line such as :
device sio0 at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4

   I have not done this and do not know where I am supposed to do this.
   I have made the other changes stated in the handbook and also done
   this on a machine at a time before and got it to work this way.
   My dmeg output for sio0 looks like this:
   sio0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
   sio0: type 16550A, console
   Isn't this telling me that it is configured?  Any help would be
   apperciated.
   thanks,
   Bob