Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 05:12:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Jos Backus <Jos.Backus@nl.origin-it.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SUIDDIR problem

> SUIDDIR will work for any user EXCEPT ROOT
> I did this because I felt it was a security hole to allow users to create
> files owned by root.
> (from memory it will also refuse to do files that have the execute bit set
> but I can't remember for sure)

In a mildly drunken state, I respond.....  :)

Without looking, I'd imagine that if the chmod command of FTP will allow
you to do a "chmod 4755 file-I-just-uploaded" -- if you have the ability
to execute programs on the machine you uploaded to, this could be a major
problem.....  Hence, I'd agree with your decision.

--mike