Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:09:31 +0200
From:      Alex <abelmail@pisem.net>
To:        Bjorn Eikeland <bjorn@eikeland.info>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Bridge problem

Hello Bjorn,

>> I have a three ethernet adapter and need to bridge two of them
>> (like an Ethernet switch but with firewall)
>> But i have a some problem...
>> When i enter
>> # sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg=lnc0:0,lnc1:0
>> i saw next:
>> What is it means?
>> When i try ping from net1 to net2 that's don't work...
>> Please help, give me advice

BE> It means that the network cards are entering promiscous mode, which in
BE> turn means it will pick all packets that passes its physical layer and
BE> then the bridge code will forward it to the other interface. _however_
BE> lnc2 should not enter promiscous mode if its not a part of the bridge?

BE> Post what version you're using and the rest of your sysctl statements for
BE> the bridge, also is it the kernel module or compiled in kernel?

BE> (Maybe you'll have more luck with this in the freebsd-net list?)

BE> hth,
BE> Bjorn

Hello!
I was know about this list from article "How to get best results from
the FreeBSD-questions mailing list" which i find on my freeBSD 4.5
RELISE CD, but i don't know about freebsd-net list... Please tell how
i can subscribe to it.

About bridgin - now it work, i think my misstake was what i'm
configure all ethernet adapter... But it worck only if computer in one
subnet ,like

       192.168.1.2<--->192.168.1.1<--->192.168.1.3
       win98            FreeBSD         win98
                        bridge
                        firewall

And it is necessary to me setup freebsd like:

       192.168.1.2-21<----->192.168.1.1<----->192.168.2.2-5
       net1                 192.168.2.1                net2
       (20 comp.            FreeBSD                    (4 comp.
       win98)               firewall                    win98/XP)

       computers from net2 must access net1 shared

I was try to forwart all packet from net1 to net2 and from net 2 to net 1
but when i ping a computer it recive packet with field 'from'
192.168.1.255 and it's don't work...
I was try to start routed and setup route table, but still don't
work...

So, maybe, you can tell me how i must to do that correct... Or, maybe, any
link with article or howto's...
I will be very grateful!

--
Best regards,