Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:58:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Chris Falco <chrisfalcoNO_JUNK@hempseed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Should I dump Windows 95 for Free BSD?

On 24-Oct-98 Chris Falco wrote:
> Howdy,
> I'm a Windows 95 user on a home pc and I was wondering if Free BSD would be
> an appropriate switch for me to make.

Talk about a loaded question!  :-)

Seriously, this is something only *you* can decide for yourself.  If you have
any Windows apps that you just can't live without, then you'd be foolish to
dump Windows altogether.

It's quite possible, though, to have both Windows and FreeBSD installed on the
same machine and switch between them at will (lots of people do this, myself
included).  The FreeBSD installation provides the option of installing a very
easy-to-use boot manager that allows you to select the OS you want to run at
boot time.

> I read the FAQs and didn't see
> anything about comparisons (look, feel, robustness, ease of use, etc..) with
> Windows.

That would be an apples and oranges type of thing.  :-)

"Look and feel" are highly subjective issues.  Let's just say it's a question
of how much you put into *making* it have the look and feel you want, as well as
how much time you're willing to invest in learning the ins and outs of the OS
itself ("ease of use").

With the X Window System installed, you get a highly customizable graphical user
interface comparable to MS-Windows.

I won't kid you, though; if you want an out-of-the-box, Plug-and-Play, one size
fits all, "OS for the computer-illiterate masses", working under the paradigm of
"computer as just another household appliance", you're barking up the wrong
tree here.

> Is Free BSD primarily designed for industry and server use?

I don't know if I'd say "primarily designed for", but it serves very well in
that arena.  It's also quite viable for single-user desktop systems.

> Do you
> know of any forums where Free BSD is discussed that I might lurk about in for
> a bit & see what's up?  Thanks in advance.  Cheers.

Yes, the mailing lists, one of which you've obviously already discovered.  :-)
Also, visit the web site (http://www.freebsd.org) and read, read, read!

By the way, please don't post HTML to the lists.  Thanks.

--
Conrad Sabatier

Micro Credo:
        Never trust a computer bigger than you can lift.