Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:23:40 -0500
From:      "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   gateway on different subnet

Hi,

In order to save the internet address space, my cable co has setup their
network with a live address for my
PC but an address on a private 10.0.0.0 network for the cable modem.
Now of course, this is also the
gateway and dhcp server.  The problem is trying to get FreeBSD to use
this private address as the gateway for
the live address.    This config works for windows and they claim mac
OS, but I can't get it to work for FreeBSD.  I've tried ifconfig
default, but that returns NO ROUTE TO HOST, and I've thougth about using
an alias on the
NIC, but that would send it out with the private network address and not
be able to find its way home.

Any of you network wizards out there have the proper spell to get this
working???

Thanks

Jim Ballantine