Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 06:27:54 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        dk+@ua.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs exported FreeBSD cvs repository, mounted on client, update problems

>On Fri, May 15, 1998 at 04:30:22AM -0700, Dmitry Kohmanyuk wrote:

>> Note that it is very well possible to have your build boxes run
>> different version from machines you want to upgrade, all the time.
>>
>> Now that we have a great new Makefile, it's possible...

Not quite. Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no> was working on a problem
that prevents some code from working.
In particular, I got caught in the box by the "de" driver.
Because there is a difference in the system structures for
ethernet information, and the driver is written for FreeBSD2, FreeBSD3,
NetBSD, etc.
by using conditional compilation, it fails to work when you attempt to
cross compile. This is because the COMPILER is providing the version
information.

This is obviously bogus. The test MUST be based strictly on information in the
source. The only place that compiler based conditionals would apply is if
there are alternate definitions written in different languages (or perhaps
I should use the term dialects).

Until the TARGET identifier is placed in the source tree AND the codebase
is modified to to handle the new identifier properly, there will be
"gotcha's" which prevent the cross compilation which you seek.

Richard Wackerbarth