Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:38:10 +0200
From:      Udo Schweigert <ust@cert.siemens.de>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: m3socks and cvsup

On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 06:10:42PM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> Udo Schweigert  <ust@cert.siemens.de> wrote:
>
> > I'm using it (runsocks cvsup -P m) for a year now and it works
> > without any problems. (Since cvsup 16 the "-P m" is not needed, so
> > "runsocks cvsup" should so it).
>
> Just to make sure I understand: You're using standard socks rather
> than m3socks, right?
>
> I believe that standard socks should work with cvsup's multiplexed
> mode, but I've never tried it.  It would probably be necessary to add
> "@M3novm" to the command line, though.  If standard socks works, then
> I want to eliminate m3socks.  There are some problems with m3socks
> that I just found out about recently.

Hello John,

I'm not using m3socks, I use the standard socks5 from ports (current version
is socks5-1.0.8). To use it (the runsocks program) with cvsup one has to
build cvsup with dynamic linking (by building port net/cvsup), the precompiled
package from CD-ROM and the one from net/cvsup-bin port will not work.

For example I changed in /usr/local/etc/cvsup/update.sh (contained in
net/cvsup-mirror port):

	< cvsup -1gL 1 -c ${colldir} -h ${host} supfile
	---
	> runsocks cvsup -P m -1gL 1 -c ${colldir} -h ${host} supfile

As stated before, this works since approx. one year without any problems.

As I remember, I used m3socks for a short time, but when I noticed that
runsocks also worked, I changed to that.

Regards
Udo Schweigert              || Voice      : +49 89 636 42170
Siemens AG, Siemens CERT    || Fax        : +49 89 636 48000
ZT IK 3                     || email      : Udo.Schweigert@mchp.siemens.de
D-81730 Muenchen / Germany  ||            : ust@cert.siemens.de
PGP fingerprint             || 2A 53 F6 A6 30 59 64 02  6B C4 E0 73 B2 C9 6C E7