Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 06:58:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        dk+@ua.net, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, sef@kithrup.com
Subject:   Re: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf

Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org> writes:
> In article <199709250239.TAA06463@kithrup.com> you wrote:
> > In article <199709241008.DAA06292.kithrup.freebsd.hackers@dog.farm.org> you write:
> > >the lookups occur only if .rhosts is present.  So, it's in
> > >/usr/src/lib/libc/net/rcmd.c:iruserok() or deeper (_not_ ruserok() -
> > >this one tests by IP address).
>
> > Okay, I tried this here, as well:
>
> > 	garth:
> > 		running 2.2-GAMMA
> > 		No local nameserver
> > 		/etc/hosts has LAN hosts, and localhost, and nothing else
> > 		/etc/host.conf has "hosts" followed by "bind"
> > 		/etc/hosts.equiv has "#kithrup.com"
> > 		~sef/.rhosts has "kithrup.com" and "kithrup"
> > 		/etc/resolv.conf has "domain kithrup.com", and my ISP as
> > 			nameservers
> 		so DNS traffic should fo to your ISP...
>
> > I started up two tcpdump's on garth (one for lo0, and one for "host garth
> > and not port login and not port klogin" on de0).
>
> > Then, from kithrup, I did:
>
> > 	rlogin -KL8 garth
>
> > No traffic from either tcpdump.
>
> the traffic should go to your nameserver - so,
> please run tcpdump one the interface to your ISP  (and have your link
> up, of course!), like ppp0 or tun0...
>
> > I verified that iruserok() is the same for -current and garth's version.
>
> I think that that code (both rlogin and resolv) hasn't been really
> touched for at least a year...

 Well - I just scanned my records..

 I originally reported this problem in version 2.1.5 of FreeBSD, on
Aug. 16th, 1996.  The subject of that message was

    "Nameserver and  'rlogin' in 2.1.5."

it should be in the freebsd-hackers mail archives.  But, at that time
I thought it was a totally different problem and let it languish.
Since it didn't get resolved; particularly when my network situation
changed, I brought it back up...

	- Dave R. -