Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2013 22:14:12 -0500
From:      "Vlad D.Markov" <dvoich@optonline.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is the "thinnest" display manager available?

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 01:32:04PM -0800, Yuri wrote:
> I want to have as few packages installed as possible, and I want to use
> small window manager (dwm). But what is the thinnest display manager
> available? I know kdm and gdm both work, but both pull a ton of
> dependencies which I don't want.
>
> Features required:
> * automatic start (through /etc/rc.conf)
> * automatically run xorg and window manager of choice
> * automatically login a particular user
> * not many or no dependencies
>
> What is the smallest display manager that qualifies?
>
> Or maybe there is an easy way to run xorg + WM with some simple shell
> script? Anything like this ready to use?
>
> Yuri
I do just what you are asking.

1. The following entry is in /etc/ttys
	ttyv8   "/usr/local/sbin/xstart"        xterm   on secure
2. contents of /usr/local/sbin/xstart
#!/bin/sh

tty="/dev/${1}"

/usr/bin/su - [user] /usr/local/bin/startx -- -dpi 100 < ${tty} >${tty} 2>&1
3. ~user/.xinitrc
	<snip>
	exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startfluxbox

I use fluxbox or fvwm as my window manager. Both work fine.