Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 10:03:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Announcing a port/package of NEdit

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I made a port and package out of nedit-4.0.1, a very good X11/Motif-based
> editor.  We've been using an earlier version of it at work for over a year
> and it is favored over HP VUEs editor, vedit.  Please try it out!
>
> I provided a version, statically linked with the Motif libraries, so you
> will not need Motif to use it.
>
> Files on ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/incoming:
>   nedit-4.0.1-notes.tar.gz  - notes and document for nedit
>   nedit-4.0.1-port.tar.gz   - nedit-4.0.1 port
>   nedit-4.0.1.tgz           - pkg_add format
>

> Dan Eischen
> deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org

Whoohoo!  This is one awesome editor!  Just yesterday, I tried the
Solaris/X86 version (independently of your announcement), and will get the
Solaris/SPARC and VMS versions today for school/work.  When I reinstall
FreeBSD tonight, I'll get that version too..

I _highly_ recommend this editor to anyone who is frustrated with the
sheer BLOAT of Emacs, it performs most of the same text/programmer editor
features (not all the other junk, News, Mail, etc, etc), is MUCH easier
for new users to learn, very fast for advanced users (keyboard shortcuts
for all menus) and the binary is under 400k if linked shared with Motif
(and that includes 90k of online help).  Check it out!

If we had Motif (or Lesstif?) in the core or X11 distribution, I would
suggest to make this the standard X editor for FreeBSD, but although I
haven't tried it with Lesstif, I suspect it's not quite ready yet..

---Jake