Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 23:19:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        roger@cs.strath.ac.uk (Roger Hardiman)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, frodef@acm.org (Frode Vatvedt Fjeld)
Subject:   Re: recent bktr trouble

Roger Hardiman wrote...
> > Hi, after making a new -current kernel today, bktr no longer works
> > (well). It looks like a tuner problem
>
> I rolled in some tuner changes into -current recently.
> Thanks for the bug report.
>
> I'll look into it in the next few days (perhaps over the weeked).

I've been having problems with the bktr driver as well.  Three, to be exact.

With the latest version of the driver, it looks like only every other field
is getting displayed.  Channel numbers and other overlays in fxtv are left
over as artifacts to some extent.  The artifacts look like they're just the
portion of the numbers/letters that are in one of the fields.

Reverting to version 1.101 (suggested on -multimedia by Chris Csanady) of
bktr_core.c fixes the problem.

The second problem I've noticed, ever since I upgraded from a late-June
current to -current as of the end of October (I'm running -current as of
today now), is that with stereo channels, one audio channel is louder than
the other.  In order to make it sound "right", I have to adjust the left
channel to be slightly louder than the right.  This doesn't happen with all
stereo channels, just some.  (TBS is the most noteable example.)  I don't
know what is going on there.  Maybe something isn't getting programmed
correctly.  Naturally, it's a little difficult to get it adjusted precisely.

The third problem, which isn't really a problem is:

bktr0: <BrookTree 848> irq 17 at device 11.0 on pci0
iicbb0: <I2C generic bit-banging driver> on bti2c0
iicbus0: <Philips I2C bus> on iicbb0 master-only
iicsmb0: <I2C to SMB bridge> on iicbus0
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on iicsmb0
smb0: <SMBus general purpose I/O> on smbus0
iic0: <I2C general purpose I/O> on iicbus0
smbus1: <System Management Bus> on bti2c0
smb1: <SMBus general purpose I/O> on smbus1
bktr0: Hauppauge Model 56111 C
Warning - Unknown Hauppauge Tuner 0x5
Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner, dbx stereo.

I'm glad the driver finally detects my card and tuner well enough (again)
that I don't have to hard-code the card and tuner values in my config file.
Is the unknown tuner message a problem?  fxtv seems to work okay without
hard-coding the tuner..

Thanks,

Ken
--