Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 14:54:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        ben@scientia.demon.co.uk (Ben Smithurst)
Cc:        matt@S02.ARPA-CANADA.NET (matt), FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Little whois patch.

> matt wrote:
>
> > 	I noticed that the Canadian Internic was being left out of the
> > whois command line opts, so I thought I'd add it to the options. I really
> > have no clue who to send this to, or if I should use send-pr maybe, but
> > it's technically not a problem. Hopefully one of the committers can give
> > me feedback on where this should go. It's diffed against 3.3-stable, does
> > nothing but give 'whois -c' for whois.internic.ca, us Canadians feel left
> > out, cheers. =)
>
> Can we (the UK) have a -u option too? :-) The host is whois.nic.uk.
> Anyway, what happens when China want their own option, and find that -c
> is taken? Wouldn't a more generic option make more sense, something like
> -c <country>, eg `whois -c ca ...' or `whois -c uk ...' ?

How about a much more elegant solution in that this data should not
be coded in the program at all.  Use of an external data file that
maps regex's to whois servers living in /usr/share someplace would
mean we could stop fussing with the binary and just fix the data
file such that it DTRT for folks:

.*\.{com,net,org}$	whois.networksolutions.com
.*\.{mil}$		???
.*\.{edu}$		???
.*\.{ca}$		whois.internic.ca
.*\.{uk}$		???

etc, etc....

And -h would override even looking at this file...

And for folks like me who do lots of rr queries I could locally add
things like
^AS[0-9]*			whois.ra.net
^MAINT-.*			whois.ra.net
^RTR-.*				whois.ra.net
^[1-9]*\.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*	whois.arin.net

Infact you could go one step further and even allow a ~/.whoisrc,
so my users whouldn't get confused when whois gave them data from
a routing registry :-)

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net