Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/44568: samba without CUPS still links CUPS

The following reply was made to PR ports/44568; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:00:03 -0500

 On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:41:26AM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:

 >>Number:         44568
 >>Category:       ports
 >>Synopsis:       samba without CUPS still links CUPS

 >I upgraded samba to 2.2.6 from 2.2.5 last week.  Printing from Win2000
 >(fully updated/patched) stopped working.  There was an error in the
 >log.smb file about not being able to reach a CUPS server, so I decided
 >to try building samba without CUPS.  However, all that the menu option
 >to disable CUPS in the samba build process does is not register the
 >dependency.  Samba is still linked against CUPS.

 Hmmm... I'd have to look at that. That may be the Samba package, not us,
 in which case it's gonna be hard to do anything about it.

 Unlike the other printing systems, Samba prints to CUPS by direct C API
 calls, not exec'ing 'lp*' programs. The new cups (which I am working on)
 includes a new Samba driver as an extra, although I know no specifics yet.

 dwcjr - when I get a chance I'll try to see what's going on.

 Vivek - pardon my idioms, but so ****ing what? Nothing is harmed.

 My own personal opinion is that this PR should just be closed as not
 a real issue, but that's without investigation ... and I do *NOT* want
 to get into a discussion of whether this *is* a real issue or not.

 --
 Alan Eldridge (cups-* maintainer)
 Unix/C(++) IT Pro, 20 yrs, seeking new employment.