Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 00:46:01 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anybody heard of fgetwpent() and putpwent()?

Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net> wrote:

> Just checked and I see these on Linux, Solaris and OSF.

I once held a small paper about all these functions (and even posted
the survey in the German Usenet, but that's been years ago).  The
outcome was that it's hard to find two systems offering a common set
of functions, once you consider things like shadow password files, or
4.4BSD's .db files.

(For read-only access, i still find 4.4BSD's solution the most
elegant, where there's no additional set of functions to access the
shadow database, but the selection is done automatically based upon
the EUID of the process.)

I think David Nugent's pw(8) is the better option in FreeBSD, and it's
at least API-lookalike to Solaris.

--
cheers, J"org