Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:14:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP Laserjet 1200 on USB

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> It currently takes about 5 minutes to transfer a 20MB file to my printer
> which has 64MB of memory.  Printing starts within 5-10 seconds of the upload
> being completed.  If the parallel port is in interrupt mode, CPU is pegged
> to 100% the whole time.  In polled mode, CPU usage drops, but the printing
> time doesn't decrease (and the ``parallel'' process is running the whole
> time).  That's what made me think that the parallel port is probably the
> bottleneck.

As a happy 1200 owner (unless I'm printing graphics), I can tell you that
I really really doubt USB will speed anything up.  My iBook supports USB
printing to this printer, and my full page 300 dpi graphics jobs take
upwards of 45 minutes from pressing "OK, print" to paper coming out of the
printer.  It's just damn slow with graphics.  Documents and the like are
very fast, especially if you're dealing with a builtin font.  Some webpage
printouts can take upwards of 15 minutes, USB or parallel...

Just another datapoint...

Charles