Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:00:35 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Andrew Pantyukhin" <infofarmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, Stanislav Sedov <ssedov@mbsd.msk.ru>, portmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD.local.dist - share/locale

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:50:52 -0500, Andrew Pantyukhin
<infofarmer@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 8/24/06, Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:26:53 -0500, Andrew Pantyukhin
>> <infofarmer@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>> > I can't help thinking that the way we're trying to deal with
>> > locale directories is far from optimal. IMHO, there are
>> > several ways to improve the state of things:
>>
>> I think the current how we handle locale is a bit silly, so I personal
>> in
>> favor of create localehier like misc/gnomehier than four suggested
>> below..
>> Honestly, I would be more rather to put mtree that is for ports in
>> somewhere of /usr/ports/ than /etc/mtree/ that way any version of
>> FreeBSD
>> won't have any of left over directories problem.
>
> It's a good idea, but we're back at the second question -
> what if someone fancies to pkg_delete -xf gnomehier?
> There will be no way to get a clean system after that
> other than by reinstalling gnomehier and deleting it after
> all the ports requiring it.

Why would someone want to delete it when it is need? Same things with why
would someone delete library when apps need it? I think it's not our
problem as I haven't seen anyone do that with gnomehier.

> And in case we ignore it and say that one should not
> deinstall a foo-dep before foo, then the whole point of
> the latest locale-related pkg-plist fixes is lost.

I don't see any problem as you can install gnomehier back in, same as with
put library back in. Unless, I don't get it.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)