Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:57:27 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        pete wright <nomadlogic@gmail.com>, Benjamin Adams <freebsdworld@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth Monitoring program

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 11:45, pete wright wrote:
> On 12/5/06, Benjamin Adams <freebsdworld@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm on a network that has a normal store firewall, setup as a
> > NAT.  I'm trying to find a way to monitor all bandwidth by
> > clients through that firewall.  I don't have the ability to just
> > put an inline box to examine packets.  Is there a program where I
> > can see whats going on from the computer on that network.
> >
> > What I'm looking for is:
> > client ip : 2.3 GB
> > List of ports used in bandwidth amounts.
>
> hard to tell with out knowing what you are running as a
> gateway/router but I would look into using some sort of SNMP script
> to gather that info and plot it out.  A lot of people use MRTG,
> i've recently starting using Cacti (www.cacti.net) to help
> implement this.
>
> HTH
> -pete

networking gear.  If you are using a hub you could put a computer on
the network into promiscuous mode and use any number of tools to
track bandwidth usage.  If you have a switched network then you are
going to need to gather info on the router itself.  SNMP would be the
logical choice if the router is capable of running it.  You could
then poll SNMP from a computer on the network and use any number of
tools to analyze/graph the usage. (MRTG and rrdtool being a couple of
popular ones)

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel