Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 1996 08:30:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: COMCONSOLE: a patch and a problem

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> >syscons uses a different tty structure for the console than for VT1.
>                                                                    0

No, syscons (and xfree86, FWIW) follows the somewhat weird SysV/SCO
naming philosophy where the first available virtual terminal has got
number one, i.e. VT1 == vt01 (xfree86) == /dev/ttyv0.

In order to switch to this VT by ioctl(VT_ACTIVATE), you ought to pass
a `1', not `0'.

> >Most people would hesitate if you always write back the boot block,
> >just to store a single bit in it.  Well, van Gilluwe reports bit 2 of
> >the so-called ``equipment byte'' in the CMOS (offset 0x14) as
> >`unused'.  Perhaps we could use it to store the serial console flag
> >there? :)
>
> The Interrupt List says:
>
>   14h - Equipment Byte
>     Bit 3 Display ENabled ...
>     Bit 2 Keyboard ENabled ...

That's also how one my AMI BIOSes handles it.  Though, well, if all
BIOSes would follow the ``Display enabled'' convention, this might be
a useful hint...

--
cheers, J"org