Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:44:39 -0400
From:      "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To:        lev@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [SO]HO Software RAID5 server: which implementation should I choice?

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 2:45 AM, Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello, freebsd-stable.
>
>  Does somebody use some software RAID5 on FreeBSD in real production
>  system?
>
>  I want to build storage server for my home: RAW photos, multi-layer
> PhotoShop files and FLAC-encoded music consume a lot of space, and
> they should be availible both from desktop & notebook.

I've used almost all combinations at one time or another.  Right now my  32
bit system with disks that are not equally sized is running gmirror/gstripe
(raid 10) and my larger 64 bit system has a 6x 750G RAIDZ1 array.

We had a discussion of this at our local geek meet last night.  The ZFS
problems seem to be mostly with complex operations (ie: databases).  I
personally havn't had a problem.  ZFS is also copy-on-write --- so snapshots
_should_ preserve original data.

My current take on home file servers is that zfs works well for those uses.
That said, my postgresql store is on ufs.

My current consulting work uses ZFS, but I tend to install opensolaris on
the fileserver as the ZFS code is fresher there.