Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 1997 14:53:43 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        mlduke@concentric.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Second Station" Revised

On Mon, Dec 08, 1997 at 09:05:31PM -0900, mlduke@concentric.net wrote:
> I've got one FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE full tower box and I want to attach
> a second monitor to it to run in my Daughter's room. A plug in like the
> one my current monitor is plugged into does not exist on the back of
> the box, and I don't know what to ask for in order to acquire the
> necessary hardware.

Well, it *is* possible to connect a second monitor to a FreeBSD
box--in fact, that's exactly the setup I have at home.  But there are
serious restrictions.  The most important is that you can connect
another monitor, but you can't connect another keyboard, so both
monitors run from the same keyboard.  The standard way to do it is
under X, running the multi-head X server from Xi graphics ($$$).

The alternative, which could even be cheaper, is to connect a serial
terminal to one of the serial ports.  You should be able to pick up a
serial terminal second hand quite cheaply.  None of this is very
exciting.  That doesn't give you an X display, of course, unless you
use an X terminal, which would require an Ethernet connection, but
you'll probably find it easier to install a second machine, maybe a
smaller one (old 386) which would just need to run the display and
connect to the first machine for the processing.  Again, of course,
you'd need an Ethernet connection, though you could possibly use PPP
instead.

> Local (Nampa, Idaho) and Anchorage custom computer folks don't have a
> clue as I've been able to learn so far (one I thought to be among the
> better of Anchorage cc's even told me Unix is old, outdated and not
> used much anymore and would hear nothing to the contrary).

I'm sure he knows exactly what he's talking about, too :-)

Greg