Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:54:34 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Tim McMillen <taxman@freedombi.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mirroring: cvsup vs. rsync

Tim McMillen wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 03:57, David Fleck wrote:
[ ... ]
>>The thing that surprises me is that I also tried mirroring the same
>>repository with rsync (using the -az options), and rsync is *much* faster,
>>so far the speed increases for rsync are on the order of 5X.
>>This makes me wonder if I'm using CVSup right.
>
> Well I'm not sure if you are, I don't know the bowels of cvsup, but I do
> know rsync is a much more efficient protocol.  5x seems a little
> excessive, but not that surprising I guess.

Rsync and cvsup are solving somewhat different problems.

You can use cvsup against a server to obtain the files by different CVS tag or
by timestamp (the tag= and date= parameters in a supfile), whereas rsync can
only copy a checked-out workarea or the CVS repo itself.  Try comparing cvsup
and rsync where cvsup in in CVS mode, not in checkout mode...

--
-Chuck