Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 18:16:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        dmaddox@scsn.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.7 and COMPAT_43 -Reply

What if I am a programmer who for some reason wants an "INET"-less kernel?
The way the system is now, I can take out the INET option and then fix all
the holes left by its absence.  Under your system, I would also have to
hack config(8).

Perhaps the existing system should have more obvious documentation -- on
my 2.1.7 system neither INET nor COMPAT_43 are marked as mandatory in
GENERIC nor in LINT.

On Tue, 13 May 1997, Donald J. Maddox wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 1997 at 04:33:49PM -0700, Robert Clark wrote:
> > Gas is optional in a car, but it won't run without it.
>
>     That's a clever answer, but I think it still doesn't address my
> point...
>
>     Don't you think it would be better if _required_ parts of the kernel
> were included by default, thereby saving enormous bandwith wastage on
> threads of this nature?  Why give newbies the opportunity to shoot
> themselves in the foot needlessly?
>
>     If "required options" were simply not listed as config options,
> what would be the down side?
>
> --
>

>                                             Donald J. Maddox
>                                             (dmaddox@scsn.net)

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."