Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 14:42:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: making a RELEASE [should make buildworld made before?]

In list.freebsd-stable Domas Mituzas <midom@dammit.lt> wrote:
 > Btw, I missed to find, that "make buildworld" is mandatory before make
 > release (It failed in several places, if I didn't build the
 > world). Therefore, during make release world is recompiled at least two
 > times. Is it a normal operation?

Yes.  The second time, the world is built with the new
world inside the chroot tree.  This makes sure that you
get reproducible results, no matter what OS version is
running outside the chroot (as long as it can compile
the sources at all).

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany
Addresses will change soon!!  If in doubt:  www.fromme.com

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)